Tuesday 12 November 2013

Mini Pumpkin Box

This all started because I needed to test my arm and see what it could take - if I could embroider yet or if it hurt too much after my arm injury. I'd been joking around for a while that I'd make one of the cookies from the Cookie Clicker game I play.  The latest update of the game has Halloween themed cookies and one of them is a pumpkin. I decided to do that one as, if it worked out and I was able to finish it on time I could then also enter it for the Deviant Art Artisan Crafts gallery  Trick or Treat Contest for the fake pumpkin category.

I made this on a scrap of even weave that I had left over from the fruit sewing kit I'd made. It took quite a bit of effort to manage to do this as my arm and had really didn't like me doing this all that much but as it wasn't really painful I decided it would be ok to keep going as I'd been told that was ok as long as it didn't hurt.

The embroidery took me about 5 hours to do - about 4 times longer than I'm used to for such a small piece. Once it was done I needed to do something with it as a tiny embroidery all on it's own wasn't going to cut it. I remembered that I also had a couple of bits of thick cardboard from making the fruit sewing kit so i grabbed them and cut one strip into 2 squares of 2 1/2 inches and the other into 4 strips of 2 1/2 x 1 1/4. I dug around the bits of fabric I had handy and found a pumpkin fabric and a autumn leafy print.

I first sewed the pumpkin embroidery to the square that would make the lid then I fixed the outer fabric to the cardboard by doing a herring bone stitch to pull the edges around the card, next I folded over the seam allowance of the pumpkin fabric and sewed that down with smallish stitches. Once all the pieces were made I sewed them together with a whip stitch. I added a little orange leaf bead to the lid as a way to open and close it.

Stats:
Size of embroidery: 1 1/4"
Colours used: 7
Number of stitches: 239
Size box: 2 3/4" wide  x 2 3/4" deep x 1 1/2" high

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with your creative mind! I cannot seem to find the fav or like button here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks <3

      There is only the g+1 button I'm afraid - no other fav or like button :(

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.