Friday 20 March 2015

A Fob a Month - 1

This started, as is often the case, with a conversation between some friends and I. In this case it started with the idea that it would be nice to have a different pair of scissors for each season - or at least for Halloween. I said that it was possible to have that without the cost of buying new scissors by simply making a fob you can swap to as the seasons change. Of course I had to then go and make this happen so here I am.

The idea is to make a new fob each month - it may or may not be directly linked to the month's special days, sometimes it might be more seasonal than others but the main point is to have a bit of fun on a small project so you have a chance to perhaps try out that new type of thread or a colour combination you might not otherwise try.  All colours I suggest are exactly that - suggestions. If you want to make yours different please do! That is what will make it uniquely yours, which is a wonderful thing.

I will supply the patterns(s) needed as well as any templates to make your life easier when assembling it - if I think it will be helpful I will link to places that show how to do something I have done in case you don't already know a technique. I will also suggest an alternate method of assembly if there is more than one. Each new pattern will be posted on the 3rd Friday of the month.
This month I was inspired by 2 things: Spring and St Patrick's Day. The front of the fob is a bright and sunny stylised flower while the back is 2 greens making a Celtic style pattern. The pattern is 24 stitches square.

What you need to make the example above:
  • 2 pieces of 4" square of 28ct linen (mine was tea dyed)
  • DMC thread in the following colours:
    • 164    light forest green
    • 307    lemon
    • 444    dark lemon
    • 740    tangerine
    • 741    medium tangerine 
    • 910    dark emerald green
    • 947    burnt orange
  • 35" of green craft thread to make the cord (you can use DMC as well of course)
  • Your stuffing of choice

You can find the patterns here


Instructions: First stitch the two sides of the fob or, if you prefer, just do one side and use another fabric for the back. Only the flower has some back stitching which was done with 164 along the outer edges and 947 inside the flower.

If you wish to use the closing method often used for a biscornu then back stitch the black lines on both the front and the back, then cut them out using the template or a short way away from the back stitching. Whip stitch the sides together right sides out. Include the cord along one of the sides with the green leaves and stuff before closing the last seam.

Otherwise cut out along the cutting lines, tuck in the cord so it aligns with one of the green leaves, then sew right sides together leaving an opening to turn. Turn, stuff, and sew the final seam shut.









How to do a biscornu closure by none other than my dear friend Carla: The Correct Way to Make A Biscornu Part One you don't need to start in the middle for this particular shape as we are not making the corners at right angles to each other but the way of sewing them together is what I'm pointing to.

If the colours I used are not to your taste you could, for example, make a pink flower and back using DMC 600, 602 and 605.

I hope you enjoy this pattern! Please do let me know if you make it - I'd love to see what you have done!

6 comments:

  1. Nice patterns & awesome scissor fob! I tried making a scissor fob once, but it's so hard to work on the really small stuff. I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D If you use the biscornu type closure you are working right sides out and it avoids the fiddly turning bits, which makes it quite a bit easier :) Of course if you use a 25, 20 or 18ct even weave it will be easier to do as it will be bigger :)

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking I will have to try this with my satin flosses....yesssssssssss....and then go buy more scissors hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Shiny SHINY satin! NOPE no more scissors for YOU!

      Delete
  3. I love the pattern, it's so cute! This looks like an awesome opportunity to use some of my hand dyed threads and stuff, so I'll spend a while planning to see if I have anything that fits the pattern apart from the obvious ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it :D Yes! Yes do have fun with this! I can't wait to see how yours turns out to be :)

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.