Tuesday 2 May 2017

Journey: Day 4

It's been a few days since I last worked on this, as predicted, but I got the deadline things done on time so it was worth it.
I have come to realise that long and short stitch is a thread eater - it makes thread vanish into the whole and makes you feel as if it's never going to be done. I did however finally make it past the combined colours and onto L779 on its own before doing the last little bit with Lecru - even that little bit took 2 lots of thread!
I then wanted to add a hill below it - and this is where my lack of drawing skills reared its ugly head as what I ended up with looks more like the toe of a shoe than a hill. I'd used L648 to make a base using really long stitches and then adding some on the edge to straighten it out and in the middle to try and make it look like layered rock. Then I used L452 to make an irregular lattice over the top that i fixed in place with a little anchoring stitch.

Umm... yeah...

Moving on...

It does look a bit better without the lattice but I'm still not happy with the shape so I decided that the best option was to rip that out too and start again - perhaps after learning a bit more about hill shapes hehe.
Despite the straightish lower edge of the mountain I like it better like this - perhaps I'll just do a bit of greenery at the bottom to hide the too straight edge or add some stitches to the mountain to de-straighten it.

At least I got the mountain finished last night and although I did do the ripping today I needed to get that done before I was able to move on and tbh you really needed to see the mountain on its own.

With any luck I'll see you tomorrow with not just the weekly WIP Wednesday post but also a little update on this project.


2 comments:

  1. Your mountain looks great! The looked a bit like a rice field, I think...but I don't have any idea how a hill should like in stitches either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that is the nicest thing anyone has said about the hill we do not mention! I shall think of something to do in that space, might not be a hill, we shall see ;)

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.